We have a dedicated team of learning organisers here in Wales. They are here to support our members, Branches and self-organised groups to access the best free online learning and development opportunities around.
Here’s our offer…
- Live Small Group Webinars
- eLearningForYou Pathways – vital online training for public service workers
- eLFY – Single Course Sign-up
- Wranx – Study towards GCSEs online through Spaced Repetition
- Why Use Wranx?
- What is Wranx?
- Staff Skills Academy – choose from a wide range of e-learning courses
- LearnMyWay – Digital and other Essential Skills
- Online events
- Signposting Service
- Learning Grants
- Member Learning Grants
- Grants for Qualifications (Wales only)
Live Small Group Webinars
We are running regular live, small group webinars delivered by our expert tutors using GoToTraining. They’re generally 2-3 hour interactive sessions whether you can connect with other members from across Wales. Regular topics include:
- Mental Health Awareness
- Neurodiversity in the Workplace
- Managing for the First Time
- Difficult Conversations
- Unconscious Bias
- Confidence Building & Assertiveness
- Resilience & Change
- Secondary & Vicarious Trauma
- All Wales Induction Framework for Health & Social Care (theory)
We also run a range of special webinars from third-party providers using Zoom and MS Teams, including:
- Making the Most of MS Teams
- Children & Young People’s Mental Health
- Gambling and Gaming Literacy
- Transgender Awareness
Email us if you can’t find the course you’re looking for and we’ll add you to our waiting list.
eLearningForYou Pathways – vital online training for public service workers
For a limited time only we can offer members working in social care and schools in Wales the choice of one of six tailored online learning pathways with eLearningForYou (eLFY) – a great way to learn through your laptop and mobile device.
- All Wales Induction Framework (AWIF) for Health & Social Care
- Social Care Essentials
- Clinical Social Care CPD
- Non-Clinical Social Care CPD
- Further Clinical Social Care CPD
- School Support Staff
Click here to find out more about this exciting offer, which is available on a first-come-first-served basis.
Our original eLFY offer is also still available. All UNISON members working in social care in Wales can click here to register for our free Covid-19 training course
eLFY – Single Course Sign-up
If you are a member who works outside of health & social care and schools, or you don’t want to commit to a pathway of courses, you can choose to sign up to one of the 70 courses in the e-learning for you catalogue.
Wranx – Study towards GCSEs online through Spaced Repetition
UNISON is working with Wranx to support members by offering a range of free online bite-sized training modules, including Functional Skills and GCSE Maths & English revision courses.
The content for each Functional Skills and GCSE Maths & English module has been written in conjunction with Gateshead College; rated as ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted.
The Maths and English revision modules have been developed to reinforce and underpin members’ existing knowledge through a continuous learning experience delivered on the Wranx platform.
Why Use Wranx?
- Build your knowledge – learn and retain information with spaced repetition!
- 2-3 minutes a day – 10 daily questions is all it takes to learn
- Anytime, anywhere – log in on any device whenever it fits your schedule
- Track your progress easily – built in performance metrics
- Effective revision – refresh your knowledge on topics that you have covered before, or learn something completely new!
- It’s free to use – for all members
What is Wranx?
Wranx is an online training tool that can be accessed on any device and uses the simple scientific idea of spaced repetition to provide learning that improves knowledge retention, even with as little as 2-3 minutes of training a day.
Wranx uses spaced repetition in the form of ‘daily drills’ – a series of around 10 questions a day. What makes Wranx different is that you will be asked a question and then shown the answer. You then have to assess how well you knew that answer, using one of six different ratings, from ‘I knew it’ to ‘I didn’t know it’. Wranx then schedules the question to appear again at a later date… further in the future if you were confident with that question, and sooner if you are not as strong on that topic. This method is scientifically proven to accelerate the learning process!
…and choose “UNISON Wales” as your union from the drop down menu.
Staff Skills Academy – choose from a wide range of e-learning courses
Our colleagues at UNISON Learning & Organising Services have made it so members can now take an unlimited number of the 550 certificated courses available on the fantastic Staff Skills Academy e-learning system – for free.
You can learn about a wide range of topics from accountancy and CV writing to interview techniques and craft skills.
LearnMyWay – Digital and other Essential Skills
UNISON Cymru Wales is now a centre with LearnMyWay, who offer free courses in English and Welsh that can help you to develop a range of skills and confidence with using technology safely and effectively, such as:
- Using your computer or device (including using a mouse, keyboard and touchscreen)
- Online basics (including using email)
- Office Programmes (including creating Documents and CVs)
- Internet Skills (including making video calls)
- Online Safety
- Finding a job online (including interviews)
- Improving your health online (including the NHS website)
- Managing your money online (including online banking)
- Accessing Public services online (including Universal Credit)
…and enter the centre code 8005218 – UNISON Cymru Wales
Check out these special events, all part of UNISON’s UK-wide member learning offer
We also organise one-off online events that learners can either watch live or watch later, linked to the most pressing topics for public service workers in Wales.
Next Event: TBC
The first live online event was aimed at Understanding PTSD and was delivered by Anglesey-based BABCP accredited CBT expert, Keith Fearns.
You can view the video below and share it with your friends and colleagues.
Our second event was Supporting Learning Through Creativity in March 2021, when we presented an interesting and entertaining morning designed for the wonderful Schools Staff who have kept learning going throughout the pandemic.
This special two-hour event featured three amazing speakers:
- IntoFilm who use movies to inspire learning,
- G2G Communities – the UK’s first Lego Education centre,
- and a performance and talk from the wonderful poet John Agard
We have a programme of special follow-on webinars available to book onto now. Click here to book.
We have collected together all of the best online learning, training and advice available to public service workers in Wales on one Padlet board, including the wonderful opportunities to learn provided by our friends at the Open University and Digital Communities Wales.
We also offer a telephone and email advice service to members in Wales
You can explore the Padlet below.
UNISON members in Wales can access two grants to support their learning and development outside of the courses we offer directly.
Member Learning Grants
UNISON funds a range of grants to members across the United Kingdom who are looking to advance their skills and careers, including up to £500 towards Open University courses and £300 towards other training.
Grants for Qualifications (Wales only)
Public Service workers in Wales who are looking to take part in accredited qualifications can apply to our WULF project for a grant of up to £200 to help with course fees.
Applications are decided by our Project Board on a quarterly basis and are subject to approval by our Welsh Government funders.